Friday 25 January 2013

Life 6 - Still Life (with an orange)

A progress update for you! 
Above: Making the table and draping the cloth over it.

Life 6 is a happy quilt about contentment. The model will have an enigmatic smile and closed eyes, and be seated at a table with some pots and oranges, and half an orange on a plate.

And you know me, there's a reason for everything! Why half an orange? It's significant in China being a sign of good fortune and happiness.

And it's to do with the poem that's being stitched onto the body.

The Orange
by Wendy Cope

At lunchtime I bought a huge orange-
The size of it made us all laugh.
I peeled and shared it with Robert and Dave -
They got quarters and I had a half.

And the orange, it made me so happy,
As ordinary things often do
Just lately. The shopping. A walk in the park.
This is peace and contentment. It's new.

The rest of the day was quite easy.
I did all the jobs on my list
And enjoyed them and had some time over.
I love you. I'm glad I exist.


Below left: Painting some cloth to make a Chinese vase, and right putting in some applique shapes.






















Pinning the vase into place prior to stitching and painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment