Thursday 20 December 2012

More Sushi underway

It's been a while since I last posted but I have made progress with more Sushi pieces for our next Orientation exhibition at The Bramble Patch in the spring. Earlier in the year I dyed and printed a collection of fabrics with this theme in mind and I am enjoying developing these in different ways.
This discharged fabric, which I painted and printed with formusol discharge paste, has since been cut up and one section over dyed with a black dye. I know this sounds a rather unusual think to do, especially as it started out as a black fabric, but of course black dye does tend to give a blue/grey look to the fabric. I love the effect on the discharged areas.
Once dyed I randomly sliced the fabric into strips and pieced the start of my 'sushi roll' with some other plain dyed fabric. This is now several metres long and waiting for extra machine and hand quilting to embellish it.
I have also experimented with some more of my painted sushi fabrics and here you can see a detail of 'Sushi Logs'.
 I am very happy with the added strips of wasabi green and hot pepper dyed fabrics as they provide a good contrast to the sushi blocks. I am considering quilting this with lots of circles, so watch this space!
It's time now for wrapping presents and decorating the Christmas cake so I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy 2013.
Thank you for reading.
Edwina

3 comments:

  1. Golly but I like this! Feels very 50s to me - I can imagine a chair upholstered in this. I will get up to the BP to see the final piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all looking very gorgeous Edwina! I love the colours that you've chosen for the wasabi and pepper -spot on - and they look so great with the overdyed black fabric. I get the 50's look too, but my first impression is of elegance and freshness - a bit like sushi itself! Have a good Christmas and hope you have better luck decorating your cake than I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THese look gorgeous Edwina .. and I just LOVE that Sushi Logs ... fab xx

    ReplyDelete