Sunday 4 December 2011

no idea where this will go..

Hello from Vancouver!
As the far flung and physically distant member of the group this blog is a terrific idea, its a great way to stay connected.

I agree with Linda, it`s much easier to talk about my work than it is about myself so I will keep this short! I am a Vancouverite born and raised though I have had the good fortune to spend time in the north- what we call north of 60. I love the landscape and people of the north and west coasts. The amazing legends and landscape of those areas have provided me with endless inspiration in my work. I really enjoy researching traditional legends and interpreting them in new ways. I spend at least one night a week life drawing, it provides me with no end of inspiration and really hones my drawing skills. I am a huge fan of the written word and will often use text in my work, quotations and stories offer no end of ideas!

I usually develop my ideas by painting , drawing and collage in my sketchbooks and I enjoy working in paper almost as much as fabric.




I have been really stumped with the Orientation theme , there seemed to be so many possible options I wasn't really sure where to go. This pile of miscellaneous bits have started a few ideas circling.

The lovely little embroidered cap was something I fell in love with at Festival of Quilts this past ear ( funny how these things work out isn't it!?) It is a Hmong child's cap dated and has the most wonderful embroidery. It is a bit fragile and some stitching is obscured in the folds but there are the best bugs and birds embroidered on it, and some wonderful flowers.





I have some wonderful rice paper pages with Korean ( I think) writing on it, the pages are quite old and gorgeous when you really start to look closely. There are some wonderful shapes in the individual characters.



...and then there's the pile of antique kimono pieces I have had for ages... really years!
So, I have no idea where the ideas are going yet but I have started playing in my sketchbook... this is going to be fun!

Bye for now, Catherine


9 comments:

  1. There's some fabulous shapes in the text, but I like the look of the rice paper pages too. What with that, and the cap, you should be well sorted!!

    One day I'll make it to Canada myself to see these fabulous places that I hear so much about. (I believe there is some long lost family members somewhere!) I've seen images of the landscapes on TV and it looks a very beautiful place if a little harsh in winter.

    Also, I'm glad you're a life drawing fan too. It's probably the hardest thing I've done and a devil to get the skin tones properly - a real challenge for me anyway.

    btw Laura: I've just noticed that writing a comment on this blog is a bit like posting on a notice board...with all those wooden planks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That rice paper is just gorgeous - the marks and shapes are beautiful ..... do you have any idea what it says?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hilary, nope I have no idea what the text says! I have a friend of a friend of a friend who is going to take a look at it and translate a bit if he can....hopefully it says something fairly pleasant!
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love seeing what you all are doing and a peak into your 'beginnings'! Great blog! Of course the work 'isn't so bad' either! HA

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is always the worry isn't it? I just love the graphic look of the characters and it is very tempting to just use them as a visual element ... but then what if someone can read them and you have put something awful?? Hope your friends friend can help ... he/she might have quite a big job on ... Hilary x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a concern, I would hate to offend anyone!
    The job won't be too big I hope, I am leaning towards using only a few of the characters, just the shapes that interest me most. But the choice of characters may change once I find out what they mean. I will have to be careful how I arrange them as well...hmm, this could get complicated!
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Am I right in thinking you have done a fair bit of work inspired by graffiti Catherine? I'm sure I have seen your 'tag'? These beautiful characters add a whole new dimension to that don't they? I wonder what Korean graffiti looks like? pretty good I guess, if it exists of course!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Hilary, yes I have done work inspired by graffiti and I had the very same thought! My stuff was inspired by local Vancouver graffiti. A friend came up aces today with a book about Japanese Street fashions which at first glance has lots of exciting ideas!and fashion shoots in the streets complete with graffiti. Very cutting edge and modern and it's mine to keep, yahoo!
    Can't wait to sit and have a good look through...more fuel for the fire!
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds fantastic! - can't wait to see where you go with it - Hilary

    ReplyDelete