Wednesday 7 December 2011

It's good to hoard...

Turns out that collecting is genetic. Be it the irrepressible urge to pick up the shards of old china that I spot in the fields as I walk home, or the growing pile of small tins that I'm amassing on my window sill. I can't really tell you why I want these things, but I'm sure that one day, they'll come in. I get this trait from my mother, evidence of which you have already seen and she in turn, from her mother. My Grandma's house by the way is simply an ever-changing display, mostly of china, but any beautiful object might find a home there.

There are certain special things that I'm sure we'll keep for the rest of our days, but for everything else there's the risk of the cull. Every so often space must be made for new additions and none of us are averse to a serious clear out. This is the long way round telling you about this little thing:
I can't imagine how this little scrap of folded paper has survived the many blitzes that we've given the workroom over the years. Why on earth it would have been kept I have no idea. Somehow it's survived and not been thrown out. Linda rediscovered it today in her search for various inspirational things. In the pursuit of all things origami it'll now be added to my sketchbook and saved!

The patchworkers among you will no doubt think it immediately looks like a block design. I'm not sure I have the inclination to piece it. I've got other plans. For now though, they're all theoretical so I better get on to some practise and see if any of my grand master plan is going to work!

Hope you're all having a good week. It's the countdown now to Christmas holidays - the first batch of mince pies have been and gone and the tin of Quality Street is in serious danger of not seeing Christmas! I've been feeding the cakes with brandy, they smell great I just hope they'll taste as good. The temptation to cut a slice and have a peak is almost too great. I'm not sure I could hide the evidence of such investigation though, even with a seriously thick layer of marzipan and icing! 

4 comments:

  1. what a find!!! I love seeing keepsakes like this and what an inspiration it will be for your upcoming exhibit!!! Perfect!!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps if you cut the cake in half across the middle and then take out a complete, say 1 inch slice across its length, you could put it back together again and, by the time it's iced, no one would know. Works for me.

    I'm intrigued by your ideas about origami and can't wait to see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it interesting those small bits that have survived over the years. I have a few too that have hung on through 2 marriages and 23 moves. Now I just CAN'T toss them out being such staunch survivors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and Linda definitley have an impresssive collecting gene - I think I probably do too. If you are ever in the Lincoln area - I will take you to Hemswell Antiques Centre .... some proper antiques, but much more on the collectables/ bric a brac/ interesting rubbish side. Everything form books to china to stone to fabrics - just such a joy!

    ReplyDelete